2013-2014 Course Update
Monday February 24, 2014
2013-2014 Course Update
The Course Committee would like to keep members informed of 2013 projects that were completed and projects that we hope to complete in 2014.
Last year, the two major issues facing the committee were drainage and tight finances. As a result of this, all projects were carried out by volunteers and course staff.
The following were some of the main projects completed;
· 600 tons of extra sand was spread on selected soft areas giving a sand coverage of 10-12mm (1/2 inch) in these areas.
· An open drain was dug on the right hand side of the 6th tee and also across the front of the 6th tee, after floodwater threatened to damage the 5th green and 6th tee.
· 500m of carrier drains were installed in the rough on the left hand side of the 7th and 8th greens.
· The stream on the 9th and 10th holes was cleaned and tidied.
· Surface drainage swales were dug on the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 16th, 17th and 18th holes. As a result of the extra water being carried in the swales, 5 small bridges were removed in the wooded area between the 2nd tee and the 11th green and replaced by 3 larger bridges. Also the exit stream in this area was widened and deepened.
· The “Dam” in front of the 13th tee was emptied of mountain debris (twice). Approx 50-60 tons of gravel was removed.
· 7 extra spruce trees were felled on the high bank on the left hand side of the 3rd hole. The 3rd green has benefitted greatly from the extra airflow and sunlight.
In 2014 drainage and finances are once again the major issues, however while continuing to do ongoing small volunteer works the course committee are hoping to complete the following projects;
· Additional sanding of 2013 selected soft areas. The goal is to get an eventual covering of 25 mm (1”) of sand on these areas over the next few years. The front of the 8th green which got minimal sand last year will be treated as a priority and will either be heavily sanded or drained this summer.
· To complete phase 2 of the drainage works on the 7th and 8th holes by installing 4”wide x10” deep slit drains between the carrier drains that were put in during 2013.
· We are also planning to tackle the wet areas on the left hand side of the 12th green. Hopefully, weather permitting, we can complete this job before the middle of March when 18 holes are back in play.
We are replacing the old (out-of-service) rough mower with a Kubota F3680
mower. This 36hp 4wd mower will help to ensure that our course will always be presented in pristine condition.
The course committee would like to thank Frank, Seán and Kieran for all their assistance and also everyone else who helped with volunteer work last year.
If you would like to join the “volunteer text group” please send a text to me at 085-1477018 or email email@example.com
. Light work and good craic guaranteed!--------PJQ
Ps Clonmel Golf Club is a members club and I am appealing to all golfers to continue repairing plug marks and replacing divots. If you are playing with a group and one of your playing partners forgets to do his duty on the course please politely remind him/her to do so.